Sunday 25 May 2014

Meet Brittany Martyshuk

We return with a fantastic blog from cast member Brittany. Read on to learn about her love for piano and much more.

How does Theatre inspire you?

That’s a big question for me to tackle. But if I had to narrow it down, how it inspires me, is how it moves me (and yes sometimes literally through movement.) It makes me want to grow not only as an artist, but as a person, and in life. I always keep craving for more, which makes me feel alive. It makes me feel at risk, challenged, and terrified at times. But these feelings only make me strive harder, for a better world, to touch people, and just be myself.

What role did music, dance, or theatre play in your culture/childhood/family/community?

My community didn’t have very many options for the arts, but you just had to look extra curricular. My first love of the arts, was honestly visual. When I was little, I always remembered having something in my hand to draw with, whether it was chalk, a pencil or crayons. Then I found my love of piano at age 12. As for dance, I just cranked the tunes and busted it in our kitchen. These hips don’t lie. Our high school didn’t have a music program, and I ended up throwing myself in our theatre class and drama club. I was extremely shy in junior high, seldom talked really, and then I felt so free when I got up on the stage. I instantly felt empowered and was able to express myself. My family has been nothing but supportive, and my community has supported drama for years. I am so thankful for all of the support; I do not know where I would be without my friends, community and family.

What has been the biggest challenge you have come across so far in your theatrical career to date?

My biggest challenge was myself. During these past couple years in my theatre studies previously at Red Deer College, I can’t tell you how many times when I was down, I wanted to scream, cry, and jump off of a building. We all go a little crazy at times. The biggest challenge was finding myself again. Sometimes you have to lose yourself in order to find yourself first though.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

I dislike looking too far ahead. But if I had too, I hope that the me in 10 years, would still be working in her craft, travelling, and most of all, just be happy. I’m not looking for a career, just looking for the things that make me happy in life. Only time will tell where I will be.

Tell us something we don't know about you?


I have been in two life threatening car crashes in past couple years. Let’s just say with my third vehicle, I keep hoping that “3rd time is the charm” is right. (I have a dark sense of humor at times, something you might also not know about me.)

Thanks Brittany 

No comments:

Post a Comment