Friday 9 May 2014

Meet the lovely Collette Radau

           Hi guys,

It's time for blog number two with the fantastic Collette Radau. Did you know that Collette is 
our Dramaturge for this show.

How does Theatre inspire you?


That’s a tough question. I guess I would say that what inspires me the most, and what really made me want to do theatre was that it gives you the ability plant ideas and stories into peoples’ minds. To be able to change someone’s mind or give them a new perspective on a situation through the power of storytelling is incredible. Theatre has so much potential for artists and audiences. Also love the bond and memories that are created in an actor-audience relationship during a show. Each experience is unique, and that’s why any kind of live event, including theatre, still holds to be some of the best moments of my life, both as an performer and an audience member.

What role did music, dance or theatre play in your culture/childhood/family/community?

I danced for ten years prior to theatre school. I performed in the styles of jazz, tap, and musical theatre. I had always loved musicals, but being able to perform in that style made me love musicals and theatre even more. I really only ever saw live theatre once or twice a year growing up, but always loved going. I loved how magical and transformative the actors were. In Grade 11, I started took Art class, and I haven’t stopped doing art since. When I got to Grade 12 and I realized that I had no clue what I wanted to after high school. I tried to figure what I wanted in life. That was when I had the epiphany that what I wanted was to be happy. And some of the happiest moments of my life were performing or watching people perform. I didn’t have the physique to be a professional dancer (and my dance teacher warned me that there was no money in a dance career), so I decided to try out acting. I acted in a community dinner theatre play before I started in the Theatre Performance & Creation program at Red Deer. That was the only play I had ever performed in prior to college.

What has been the biggest challenge you have come across so far in your theatrical career to date?


Well, there definitely has been a lot. Two years ago, I was terrified of public speaking, I hated my voice, and I had no experience. Now that I think about it, I have no idea why at the time I thought going to theatre school was a good idea. But I overcame those challenges. I think the biggest challenge in the first year of my theatre career (and even now) was not being afraid to jump into everything with two feet and not being afraid looking stupid or not doing something perfectly. This past year, my most challenging feat was accessing my vulnerability and being able to share with an audience. It is incredibly difficult, but I knew I needed to figure out how if I really wanted acting to be my passion and career. Being able to turn that obstacle into a tool was probably one of the most rewarding experiences that I gained coming out of college.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years? And Tell us something we don't know about you.


Oh god, I don’t know, I have even thought past the next five years! That’s a terrifying thought – being out of college and out in the “real world”. I think I’m terrified of facing reality because I’m scared that I’ll lose my sense of play. I don’t ever want to lose my sense of wonder and magic that I have always loved about theatre. Ultimately, I hope that I will be a working artist (like every artist wishes) in a city that I love, and that I’m doing everything that I love. I hope that I will be happy. 

Tell us something we don't know about you?


I’ve had a few grey hairs since I was 13. Shh! Don’t tell anyone! ;)

Come back soon to learn more about the other members of Sonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment