Monday 12 May 2014

Meet Julia Van Dam



      Hi guys,

      It's time for blog number three with the lovely Julia. Did you know that Julia recently played
      Alice in RDC production Alice Through the Looking Glass? 

How does Theatre inspire you?
Theatre has and continues to inspire me to provoke social and political change through art. Who doesn’t want the audience to leave the theatre reflecting on or talking about what they’ve just seen? Theatre also insires me to do what I love and to live honestly as my own individual. 
What role did music, dance, or theatre play in your culture/childhood/family/community?
Growing up, my parents surrounded me with music (I have a huge love for classic rock) and through my childhood into my teens I took singing lessons and learnt how to play the clarinet. Every year I had the opportunity to compete in the Red Deer and Lacombe Music Festivals. My first glimpse of the theatre came when I performed in the children’s choir in Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat at Lacombe Composite High School. I was in love. After that I modeled locally around the area, tearing down my confidence but also building it up at the same time. Theatre became a much bigger part of my life when I took Musical Theatre at Lacombe Composite. I loved being on stage and sharing my love of acting with others who supported it and felt the same way. From there I was led to one of my best decisions so far: attending the theatre program at Red Deer College. I feel very lucky to be twenty years old and be certain of what I want to do for the rest of my life.

What has been the biggest challenge you have come across so far in your theatrical career to date?
Being present in the moment.  
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?  
Who can say! My next year or two are going to be dedicated to traveling Europe and developing my craft within each country I visit...After that, I plan on attending the two year program at the William Esper Studio NYC. Whatever I do, I know that art is my first love and forever will be. I hope in ten years I’ll be able to say I am happy.

Tell us something we don't know about you
I love nature! I’m so happy when I get to spend time outside in the sun and around the energy of plants. It grounds me


Thanks to the fantastic Julia and keep checking back as we meet more of the people that are apart of the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment