Wednesday 7 May 2014

Meet the talented Erin Pettifor

Hi guys,

Today we had a question and answer session with the cast of Sonder. Through the next week we will be sharing there thoughts on the questions asked of them. Let's start with Erin.


How does Theatre inspire you?

The ability to act well in theatre demands a lot from an individual. It requires great focus, an ability to empathize in specific amounts and at specific times, physical finesse, a deeply rooted yet open minded sense of self among skills that require the ability to tell a story artistically and poignantly. I find it incredibly inspiring that actors can be so imaginative. The form of theatre can take many shapes, however, I am most touched by it when it is authentic even in its most nonsensical forms. It inspires me to work at my craft. The stories told by theatre also mould my attitude and furthermore change my every day choices.

What role did music, dance or theatre play in your culture/childhood/family/community?

I took ballet as an extra activity when I was about four. I did not listen to the instructions given by the teacher; I basically danced on my own. I think I only stayed for three classes until my mom took me out of the class. My dad always enjoyed singing and playing guitar. He took guitar lessons into his adulthood and my brother also learned how to play guitar as well. When I was 12 my dad played a part in Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat. I think that was one of the first musicals I saw. Since I was nine I competed in the Red Deer Kiwanis Music Festival that took place at Red Deer College. I competed with a classical and musical theatre voice repertoire for several years. I didn’t look forward to the competition every spring until I got over my intense nervousness. My experience there helped me to shape what I have to offer of professionalism , acting through song, time management skills, RDC main stage performances and most prominently, an ability to sing classically. The arts helps people to keep an open mind. I can’t imagine where I would be if my community didn’t offer the artistic opportunities that it does. I graduated high school from Lindsay Thurber Comprehensive High school. It offered me many opportunities to fail in the arts and grow from there. I studied improvisation, chamber choir, jazz choir, Art IB, philosophy and musical theatre. I was presented with what challenged my perception of creativity and art. I was presented with the opportunity to take massive risks and as well to use my time and energy to reach a level of high standing in the arts. The arts have always been a place where I feel most comfortable creating. I wouldn’t want to create an engine. Or the pills you get at a pharmacy. I am intrigued by music, dance and theatre because it can be perceived subjectively. Growing up, visual and performing arts were a way to show human experience and although that remains to be true, it’s impact on myself and others grows broader.

What has been the biggest challenge you have come across so far in your theatrical career to date?

I have yet to let go of my tendency to ‘get it right’. Growing up, I viewed the creative process in black and white, which it is not. Just because I do X, Y and Z doesn’t mean I will reach a level of perfection. Besides, in my first year of theatre, I’ve learned that if I sense that I am ‘getting it right’ I am not in the moment, and therefore being unsuccessful at acting. Furthermore, I hope to maintain acting that is experienced moment by moment so that after the performance is done, I won’t remember what happened. The drive to reach perfection (perfection in anything doesn’t exist; change is inevitable) is my current dragon.


Where do you see yourself in 10 years? And Tell us something we don't know about you.

I am quite ambitious, so I imagine myself playing the part of at least four characters in theatre. Maybe I have low expectations and maybe they are too high. I’ve learned that a lot of success in this business requires a good first impression, strong connections, motivation, commitment and developed skills. If said aspects of a successful career are kept on my radar then I see the potential for at LEAST four characters in my future. I am hoping that at least of of those characters will be a sultry female because I am absolutely terrified of bringing out that side of me in front of anyone, including myself. I want to be well on my way to creating a change in how the youth view themselves and how they define gender. What you may not guess about me is that I am bisexual and I’ve recently discovered it is nothing to be ashamed of.



Come back soon to learn more about the other members of Sonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment