Wednesday 14 May 2014

Meet Tyler Johnson

Todays blog come from the one and only Tyler Johnson. Let's see what he has to tell us !

How does Theatre inspire you?

Oh lordy, well, I'll put it this way. When I watch theatre, or any form of performance I always enjoy it. You know? It's the community coming together and I think seeing stories being told on stage and having an audience embark on that journey is just fantastic. But more importantly it's that well of feeling you get in your stomach, like right behind your sternum, and when you feel light and heavy all at once. I find that when that feeling comes, and it only comes with theatre, that in itself is inspiring. It makes me want to do things, and gives me the gusto and zealous to want to change the world. I mean I'm a guy who already wants to change the world, and asks questions. But when I see a show and the production asks me a question and I find myself exploring that idea, notion, or question... I mean that's inspiring. It's getting you to think. To stop for a moment and realize how dauntingly big the world, and it reminds you the worlds not just costume and make-up. It's bigger. It needs growth. ... Uh I've gone on a tangent. But it inspires me by getting me to do more, and to be the small minuscule of change in the world. Which I think is wonderful.

What role did music, dance, or theatre play in your culture/childhood/family/community?
Well. It's funny you should say that because I was terrified of music, dance, and theatre. I mean I played pretend in the safety of my home with kids when I was growing up, but it wasn't about performing for people. It was about being someone new, and exploring my imagination and running. I mean back then it was me getting to be Tuxedo Mask, but now that I'm older I can look at it this way...
I always loved music. I sang Shania Twain, Backstreet Boys, and Spice Girls till I was blue in the face. Even as a kid I had a firm opinion on music too, and I became addicted to the way music made me feel.
I didn't know what dance was, or if I did it was unimportant at the time. Then again, I was also an art kid, I love drawing and painting, and so for the longest time that was how I envisioned doing art. So my mind was reeling over Tuxedo Mask and drawing then
It wasn't until highschool and then college that all three came and sort of imploded inside of me. So... it served as a subliminal role until it was brought out of me.
What has been the biggest challenge you have come across so far in your theatrical career to date?
I remember deciding that I wanted to be a performer, because I remember being an audience member and feeling my guts twist and turn and feeling utterly perplexed that a story could do that. Let alone a story told by a group of people a couple of feet in front of me. Ever since then I wanted to be the most truthful performer I could be, to do what I saw, and it's fair to say that it's terrifying. I could do a little Burlesque number or a monologue and I'm still terrified. And I learned that being terrified can be transformed into excitement or vulnerability and used, and then you really learn how to be present. How to be so real in the moment that it's just earth shattering and real. And I want to be that. I want to get to a truthful presentness, and I can hope I'm on my way. But that's the challenge I'm having... and what a brilliant challenge it is.
Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I'll be thirty one and hopefully I'll be having a grande old time with still looking young. Because as you know now, or don't... anyway I look really young for turning twenty one - almost sixteen - and so my vanity and logic knows I'll be happy about that. On a serious note though, I think I'll be looking back on the previous ten years, and I really hope that I can recognize the man I was every year leading from now till then. Seeing the change and growth I've come from... because like many people I'm hard on myself.
Do I want to be successful with a nice reptoire of roles plays? Hell yes. So I hope by then I've done some brilliantly complex and challenging roles, explored myself more as an artist, and hopefully I'm sustaining my life as an artist. That'd be wonderful.
Tell us something we don't know about you
I over think everything. Which I mean sounds like everyone does, but I have a bizarre extreme tendency to over think things into a panic. Which first meeting me may not be something you'd ever know. But I am a strange fellow who happens to pick apart his day and mule over things until I'm to tired to function - or until an attack. A simpler thing, is that I'm adopted.
Thanks Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment