Sunday 15 June 2014

Meet Rina Pelletier

And we are back with a new exciting blog post from our very own Rina. Let's get to it.

How does Theatre inspire you?

Everyday theatre reminds me that I can be who I want to be and that I have power in my life. It reminds me and inspires me to enjoy the simple pleasures life brings and to share it with others. Theatre inspires me to: Be who I am, and to Own who I am; it has been a great love of my life and has got me through some of my darkest days.

What role did music, dance, or theatre play in your culture/childhood/family/community?
Growing up I took piano lessons from the age four till I was seventeen. My family and I are all musicians and we would spend hours at the piano or playing our other instruments (trumpet, bass). My favorite past time growing up was singing with my sister. We would pick up a piano book and she would play the whole thing through while we both sang. It was like staging our own little musical in our dining room everyday. Musical theatre seemed like a natural progression and I began performing in shows during my high school years, and for those three years that was my life and still is now. All of my best memories in life involve music, dance or theatre.
What has been the biggest challenge you have come across so far in your theatrical career to date?
The biggest challenge I've come across so far is a really hard thing to pin point for me. I've had so many challenges be it self consciousness on stage, self doubt of my talent and fitness issues. I have to say so far the most pressing issue I had was my fitness level. At some point this year I realized that to do what I love I need to be stronger and healthier. That's a huge battle for me, and it is still. However, I refuse to stand in the way of my own health and happiness.

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
In ten years I see myself sitting down at the piano, or on stage singing and performing. I see myself doing what I am doing now, on a larger scale and touring the country. The important thing is, in ten years, I see myself still happy doing what I was born to do.
Tell us something we don't know about you?
Something you don't know about me is I write my own music and I am in the beginning stages of writing a fiction novel to go hand and hand with the soundtrack.

Thanks Rina. Who ever thought that theatre would be such a powerful symbol of hope. What does theatre mean to you?

No comments:

Post a Comment